Ruben Marcos – Weblog A creative model maker's blog…

2Dec/03Off

1st wing test

This is when things became a little more interesting. In July I was working at Artem, as a freelance foam technician, for the pre-production of the film "Brothers Grimm" directed by Terry Guilliam. So, I had the chance to have a chat about these initial stages of my project to a few sculpurers and mould makers working there. Stan Mitchell, the head of sculpture borrowed me a couple of books about bats. There it started my visual research! Then, I asked mould makers Raj and Jimmy for some advice on the best way to mould this wing sculpture that I had done. They gave me some key tips, and from then on, during my lunch breaks at Artem, I was busy making a two part mould in polyester resin of my first wing sculpture.

After the mould was done, I made 2 or 3 casts in polyerster resin, gel coat... I realized that the wing was too broad, the bat's wings are, thin, strong but thin like paper! Then luckly Chris (Fitzpatrick) came along and gave me the advice of using only 1 part of the 2 part mould and cover it with a layer of gel coat resin, then another layer of glass fibre tissue embeded in resin to create a membrane like texture and give it strenght, but at the same time alsmost as thin as paper!

This photo below is the result of that advice I got from Chris. And eventhough I am not using this design for my final model. This was a very big step in my early stages, because I will use a similar technique. We'll see that later.

first_wing_test.jpg

bat_exp_1.jpg

Above is a simple image created with photoshop. Trying to join all the elements that I had done at that stage.

wing_mould.jpg

The photo above shows the making of the two part mould for the wing