Ruben Marcos – Weblog A creative model maker's blog…

5Dec/03Off

Fiberglassing my final frame

These last two days I have been a little too busy playing around with fiberglass and polyester resin. Like usual, in my previous test models. But this time, in a larger scale... a bit of a mission! I booked the uni's spray boot, for yesterday. The whole afternoon, I was laying fiberglass on the big and awkward frame. It certainly was a big, risky job, but luckily everything went according to plan. Below is the progress:

This shows the materials I used for the process, mentioned earlier. Including scales to measure right amounts of catalyst in the resin, to make sure it cures properly. For this very large, but thin application I used about 3 to 4% catalyst. I also intend to take most of the wires that will support the tissue and resin, so i rubbed vaseline in the wires I wish to remove later. progress 1.JPG

Here we see the fiberglass tissue with resin, applied of the frame, following the shape of the welded wires. progress 3.JPG progress 5.JPG

At this stage I started to reenforce it with fiberglass matt to strenghten it, although I torn the matt appart before I applied it. This chunky mat gives it an iteresting membrane like texture. The tissue was good for the miniatures, but this matt is more suitable to work on a bigger scale. progress 6.JPG progress 8.JPG

And this is the result when the resin cured the next day! Not bad, the next thing to do, is to remove the wiring from the back of the fiberglass. Thanks to the vaseline I rubbed on them, they came out fairly easy. progress 9.JPG

Next, was removing the wires from the back. I removed all except the wires representing the digits, the legs and torso. The main ones, they will secure the frame. Later, I also reenforced the back with more matt and resin on those wires, to make sure they are embedded in the fiberglass and become part of the main frame. progress 12.JPG progress 13.JPG progress 14.JPG

This is the final piece, with the main wires already reenforced with extra matt & resin on the back. Also did a bit of trimming. progress 18.JPG progress 17.JPG

Comments (1) Trackbacks (0)
  1. Wow, that looks great. You really think a lot about what you do, tried different materials and ways… i am really impressed 😉


Trackbacks are disabled.