Ruben Marcos – Weblog A creative model maker's blog…

16Feb/04Off

Progress so far…

I have made a master toe from acrylic and some filler, then I sanded it to a smooth finish. D.SCFl0001.jpg

On the right is the finished master toe, then its cast in fast cast resin. And the silicone mould on the left. Later I will cast 4 identical toes, 2 for each foot. D.SCF0002_12.jpg

The body was carved out of a medium density foam. Then it was primed various times until a smooth finish was obtained. Later I will cast it in resin, to make strong solid piece. D.SCF0004_11.jpg

The lens was made from a clear acrylic, thick rod. Worked on the lathe, sanded to its appropriate concave shape and then polished to a crystal clear glass look. D.SCF0002_13.jpg

To make the droid's optical eye, I used a piece of chemi-wood. Here is how I prepared it for the lathe. First I made a square rod, then I sanded away the corners of the rod in the belt sander, enough to fit it on the lathe. D.SCF0006_12.jpg

From the square rod, I made a round solid rod. D.SCF0007_12.jpg

At this stage I had cut some depth into it, with the same width as the lens too fit it later. I have also made a hole in the centre, and now I will start working from the inside out. Creating various steps looking like an optical lens. D.SCF0008_11.jpg

After working on the lathe. At this stage, I have also sanded it to a smooth finish. D.SCF0010_11.jpg

D.SCF0002-_11.jpg

D.SCF0011_11.jpg

Later i'll be using glues and filler to join all bits together. D.SCF0006_13.jpg

Filed under: Pit-droid Comments Off
Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Trackbacks are disabled.