The front "spinal" effect is nearly ready to be assembled to the main shell... can't wait to do it!
In the lathe machine...
The spine running under the rings. Some of the rings are not very accurate and I will redo some again.
This is one of my references for the middle bit, the grid will be a little different to this... I will show later.
FINAL TRAIN WHEELS
The middle is made of acrylic, I drew it in corel draw, then used the laser cutting machine.
I created a hole/depth in chemi-wood, where the orange bit could fit tight, then used double sided tape. That way I made sure that the orange piece was fixed exactly in the centre, otherwise it wouldn't work! Then I sanded the concave desired to create the same feel that the photo(b&w) below shows. It worked very well!
The orange wheel is the one that I made... The bottom left is the type that I will use in the front bogie, as in b&w photo below (the front four wheels).
Even though I am not going to use the other two wheels on the right, they where very important for me, to be able to understand how to make my own wheel. So they where a very good investment, I was just not happy with the way they looked...
This is my final wheel (top left) with the silicone mold (top right) and some resin casts already on the go. Then I only need to "clean" the imperfections on the wheel casts and they are ready! I need 14 of them, and the next step is to create some kind of a hidden chassis to hold the wheels all together under the main shell... and that will fit in the rail section that I bought a while ago.
This train is part of the initial reference used to make the very first designs of this train. And these were the kind of wheels that I have been looking for all along, not only they are unusual, they fit a lot better within the lines of this train! I finally got what I wanted!
Working the bits on the lathe... These are the bottom ones, the antennas are made of brass rods.
And the top bits... This pic shows one finished bit which I used as close reference to make sure the other bit would look as identical as possible, just as shown on the pic with the bottom bits above.