Ruben Marcos – Weblog A creative model maker's blog…


All primed and screwed

I've just finished screwing him all up and he is now standing, but it was getting late, so I'll wait for tomorrow to take a nice shot of him in the sun light. I still need to finish the hands to attach them and finish some finer detail bits in the bottom of the head. There in also a small oil cable from the forearm to the shoulder on each side, I also want to do those!

61DSCF0018_1.jpg 61DSCF0017_1.jpg

Below I will try to explain what what really happens underneath that smooth surface. What I had to create as I went along, to make the overall structure as strong as I could, to avoid snapping him, specially whilst traveling. When he's totally finished I will be able to detach him from the base only, thats all. He will become one single piece. So for traveling I will lay him down in a box full of any soft material...

This shows how there will be 2 stong screws securing the shoulder bit to the neck and attached into the body! 61DSCF0020_1.jpg 61DSCF0019_1.jpg

Next it shows the waist bit, very tricky... I used an aluminum rod horizontally. And a big screw going right across the three pieces vertically. The danger is that most of the droid's weight is from the waist up, so this was a crucial part. I had to grind the middle of the aluminum rod so that the crew could go through it where they meet inside, and at the same time it would lock the top of the body from going back and forward. 61DSCF0003.jpg 61DSCF0005_1.jpg

Below sows how I locked the aluminum rod to the top of the body by cutting a ridge in each end of the same aluminum rod. I also cut a ridge with the same diameter as the cut in the aluminum rod in the plastic body. 61DSCF0006.jpg The small brass rod locks the aluminum rod, and the top of the body from moving, ensuring it will be strong! I will glue the small brass rod into the gap before I put a blob of body filler and sand it back to the shape it had before. 61DSCF0009_1.jpg After super gluing the small brass rod into the ridge, I covered it with car body filler... 61DSCF0010_1.jpg ... then I sanded it to the same shape that it had initially, before priming grey... not as easy as it looks! 61DSCF0011_1.jpg

Filed under: Pit-droid Comments Off

Pit droid standing!

Finally, I'm seeing more than 70 individual pieces, all hand made coming together! I must say, it makes me relieved that it's all working well... I have attached 8 screws in total and a few wires in all joints to strengthen the overall structure. 59DSCF0014.jpg 59DSCF0011.jpg

Just a reminder of what he looks like. (my only visual reference too) 59Starwars1-1.jpg

Below shows how I've put the shoulder pieces all together.. 59DSCF0010.jpg

I masked the cylindrical piece with tape to avoid the filler from getting stuck to it. Later I removed the cylindrical piece and sanded the filler smooth prior to super glue the cylinder to the main shoulder bit. 59DSCF0008.jpg

This shows how I've cut a hole in the main shoulder bit. I made the hole bigger, so that I could fill the gap with filler copying the exact shape around the cylindrical bit. 59DSCF0006_5.jpg 59DSCF0005_7.jpg

This shot was taken when I was attaching the aluminum pipe pieces, covered with body filler. Later hand sanded to the required shape. The aluminum is for strength. When the neck piece is fitted to it those pipes I will put a screw across in each side, into the body. 59DSCF0003_6.jpg

Filed under: Pit-droid Comments Off

Went shopping..

Yesterday I went to buy a few things at 4d modelshop in London. I worked there for over a year about 2 years ago. So it was good to see some of my old colleagues there....

This below shows a very rough shot of the little bits that I've acquired at the model shop. Those include various widths of styrene rods and tubes, masking tape and lithographic tape for the paint job later, double sided tape, blades, solvent applicator, plastic weld...

That bottom grid is a sketch and nothing is yet attached to the main shell.


Filed under: Giger train Comments Off

Last day of workshop before Easter holidays…

Uni is now shut for Easter holidays and I have been trying to use it as much as I could lately. I should have enough work to entertain me with next week without needing the machines.

This is a shot showing the very light score lines that I made in the front of the train. I will use them as guide lines to glue the front grid later. The slight depth in the lines will also help to retain the super glue in the ridge, avoiding the glue from running down, when I eventually glue the grid... I think.. 58DSCF0001_1.jpg

This on the right of the train is a height gauge, I used it to score straight lines around the model. 58DSCF0003.jpg

Below shows how I am making the shoulders for the pit droid. 58DSCF0001.jpg



Pit droid (so far)

These shots are just to show how the droid in doing so far. I am doing as I planned a while back, work on it over the weekends... 57DSCF0003.jpg


Filed under: Pit-droid Comments Off