Ruben Marcos – Weblog A creative model maker's blog…


The base

The base was done by covering it with a layer of PVA glue and pour sand all over it. Once the glue dried I blew the loose sand off the base, I repeated that process 3 times in total. Later I painted it black and sanded the top of the rails to show the shiny metal again, contrasting it nicely with the base. I still need to take that dull black away, by giving it some quick weathering effects to enhance the 3 dimensionality of the ground, with a few paint washers, chalk pastels in powder and some dry brushing...

I went to London to get some 1:50 scale people which I am going to attempt sticking them in the train's cockpit, with the purpose of showing the scale of the train. It's supposedly a very big locomotive, and the little people will show that effect. I'll do the cockpit tonight...







Filed under: Giger train Comments Off

Nearly finished

I think that by tomorrow, both the train and its base will be finished, ready to paint. The weather has been pretty good, so I'll paint the model outside.

All I need to do now is finish up the back/top "bubble" which will be the cock pit. And resolve the end (back) of the predominant pipes that run horizontally along the train.




Filed under: Giger train Comments Off

Top spine & side pipe holder

The fun part has started, putting it together, it's a great feeling and a sense of relief, that everything until now is going according to plan.

The top section of the pipe 74DSCF0011_3.jpg

These are the bits that go on the end of the spine on the top and on the bottom of the spine. Done on the lathe machine. The bigger one is for the top part, and the smaller for the bottom 74DSCF0004_13.jpg

On the lathe, scoring the lines with a scalpel attached to the machine, tiny stuff! 74DSCF0003_14.jpg

The side pipe holder (the pipe will be there soon) 74DSCF0021_1.jpg





When I removed the master piece from the clear silicone mold, the pieces broke in several parts, they where very fragile. So I simply casted another pair by injecting liquid plastic into the mold again. The casts are a lot stronger than the original pieces that I originally carved and they fit exactly on the train just like the originals did, that silicone is great stuff! 74DSCF0018_2.jpg


Filed under: Giger train Comments Off

The silicone mold

These last 2 days i've been working to my extremes, but I managed to make the whole train's mold in 2 days not bad, but at a cost of about 250! Serious stuff, with no margin for error! All commissioned by my client, which I sincerely appreciate it.

This is my biggest silicone mold I ever did, and it was not an easy job... I am under a lot of pressure, with 8 days to meet my dead line for EVERYTHING that I've been doing and more.. so wont be sleeping well until I finish.... and by the way it's 3:30 am.

Anyways, the main wooden box has a diameter of 700X150X150 cm, of which I basically attached the train inside and poured 16 kilos of silicone inside.

I also made other separate molds of certain parts where there were deep undercuts...

The box sealed, with tape around 73DSCF0004.jpg


The silicone mold of the whole train 73DSCF0006.jpg


The separate mold of the side detail sections 73DSCF0008.jpg

The side/front airflow detail, showing the feed, rod in the middle and the risers in the conners attached to avoid air trapped when casting. I will use clear silicone for these two pieces, so the pieces will be visible when I open the mold, the tape with a blue line around around is to ensure a decent seam line and to avoid cutting into the object, when I cut the mold open with a scalpel knife. Ideally the mold for the train would have been with clear silicone, but that would have double the price of the job. These little pieces were very delicate and required some special attention, so I used the clear stuff! 73DSCF0013_1.jpg

The box, ready to pour the silicone 73DSCF0014_1.jpg

The clear silicone is already in, with a label embedded, pretty cool! 73DSCF0001_1.jpg

Filed under: Giger train Comments Off


Today I'm a little tired and have little energy left to write, though I will leave some pics just keep the weblog updated. My client and I decided to make some changes in the front grid of the train which Ill explain with more time, though the first pic below shows the predominant changes, if you can spot them 😉

The wheels and bogies are all done, and the good news are that the wheels will move, so one can roll the train backwards and forwards. I think to be able to see the wheels rolling makes the train come to life!





The side vents. 72DSCF0013.jpg

Filed under: Giger train Comments Off