In the past few weeks I have made a sequence of these sketch models to help a student architect understand and analyse his own work. The drawings given to me were not 100% finished which proved slightly challenging to build the models accurately. But the purpose of the models was also to help the client to resolve drawing issues that he was having. The models proved very helpful to make him feel more assertive of what he was designing and enabled him to explore his ideas and concepts further.
I've got an interesting project ahead which has now been confirmed. Making a scale model at 1/75 of a new Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (NHS) building proposal in Stanmore, North London. This model will be used by the client for planning permission presentation to the local council at the end of April.
I have recently got the news that 'Mixity' one of my clients, has applied to enter the Royal Academy of Arts Summer exhibition with one of my most recent models. The model is a representation for a proposal to build an arts creative hub, or a cultural centre in the heart of Kuwait. I finished that model in February.. Fingers crossed it gets accepted by the RAA jury members to enter the Summer exhibition! Due to confidentiality this model is still under wraps from the public eye, but hopefully soon enough I'll be able to lift the vail and post some pics to feed the eye.
I have had an interesting commission to make a hat prop to be used by an actor for a flower shop TV advert. Unfortunately that's all I can say for now. I hope I can get more involvement with Fuse Sport & Entertainment in the future, it was a pleasure to work with them! The project couldn't have gone any better considering the time constraints, it was a very quick turnaround.
I've had to make this halo for a client recently and here I'll attempt to show some of the processes and techniques that I've used to make it all happen!
Firstly I needed to make a master shape focusing on half of the halo, which later I will make a silicone mould of and eventually cast 2 halves and join them into one seamless piece. I started by using auto cad to draw up 3 simple circles at around 200mm in diameter and 16mm wide, these had to be of different widths though, the wider on the bottom (18mm) and the narrower on the top (3mm) creating and incremented curve if seen in section. These cad drawings were eventually used to laser cut the circles in 2mm acrylic which allowed me to physically stack them on top of each other. The increments were then filled with car body filler, then sanded the filler down gently while trying to avoid sanding much of the acrylic, making sure I retain the accurate circle shape. Once filled and primed I was ready to make a silicone mould. Then casted 2 halves, joined them, filled the seam and primed and sanded the surface until smooth like a babies bum, ready for the final gold colour coat of paint. This was made in 2.5 days through an impulsive and intuitive approach, through blending simple techniques from various backgrounds.