Ruben Marcos – Weblog A creative model maker's blog…

15May/04Off

Top spine & side pipe holder

The fun part has started, putting it together, it's a great feeling and a sense of relief, that everything until now is going according to plan.

The top section of the pipe 74DSCF0011_3.jpg

These are the bits that go on the end of the spine on the top and on the bottom of the spine. Done on the lathe machine. The bigger one is for the top part, and the smaller for the bottom 74DSCF0004_13.jpg

On the lathe, scoring the lines with a scalpel attached to the machine, tiny stuff! 74DSCF0003_14.jpg

The side pipe holder (the pipe will be there soon) 74DSCF0021_1.jpg

74DSCF0020_1.jpg

74DSCF0017_2.jpg

74DSCF0016_2.jpg

74DSCF0012_3.jpg

When I removed the master piece from the clear silicone mold, the pieces broke in several parts, they where very fragile. So I simply casted another pair by injecting liquid plastic into the mold again. The casts are a lot stronger than the original pieces that I originally carved and they fit exactly on the train just like the originals did, that silicone is great stuff! 74DSCF0018_2.jpg

74DSCF0013_3.jpg

Filed under: Giger train Comments Off
13May/04Off

The silicone mold

These last 2 days i've been working to my extremes, but I managed to make the whole train's mold in 2 days not bad, but at a cost of about 250! Serious stuff, with no margin for error! All commissioned by my client, which I sincerely appreciate it.

This is my biggest silicone mold I ever did, and it was not an easy job... I am under a lot of pressure, with 8 days to meet my dead line for EVERYTHING that I've been doing and more.. so wont be sleeping well until I finish.... and by the way it's 3:30 am.

Anyways, the main wooden box has a diameter of 700X150X150 cm, of which I basically attached the train inside and poured 16 kilos of silicone inside.

I also made other separate molds of certain parts where there were deep undercuts...

The box sealed, with tape around 73DSCF0004.jpg

73DSCF0003.jpg

The silicone mold of the whole train 73DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

The separate mold of the side detail sections 73DSCF0008.jpg

The side/front airflow detail, showing the feed, rod in the middle and the risers in the conners attached to avoid air trapped when casting. I will use clear silicone for these two pieces, so the pieces will be visible when I open the mold, the tape with a blue line around around is to ensure a decent seam line and to avoid cutting into the object, when I cut the mold open with a scalpel knife. Ideally the mold for the train would have been with clear silicone, but that would have double the price of the job. These little pieces were very delicate and required some special attention, so I used the clear stuff! 73DSCF0013_1.jpg

The box, ready to pour the silicone 73DSCF0014_1.jpg

The clear silicone is already in, with a label embedded, pretty cool! 73DSCF0001_1.jpg

Filed under: Giger train Comments Off
10May/04Off

Progress…

Today I'm a little tired and have little energy left to write, though I will leave some pics just keep the weblog updated. My client and I decided to make some changes in the front grid of the train which Ill explain with more time, though the first pic below shows the predominant changes, if you can spot them 😉

The wheels and bogies are all done, and the good news are that the wheels will move, so one can roll the train backwards and forwards. I think to be able to see the wheels rolling makes the train come to life!

72DSCF0014.jpg

72DSCF0009_1.jpg

72DSCF0005_2.jpg

72DSCF0010.jpg

The side vents. 72DSCF0013.jpg

Filed under: Giger train Comments Off
8May/04Off

Front grid done!

I have finally finished all the "spine" work on the front of the train.

This is very good news, because now I can start thinking of "dressing" the main shell, with all the individual components that I have been working on. I think this will be the most rewarding part, finally seeing everything in one piece!

71DSCF0004_1.jpg

This is a plastic bit to cover that bottom part of the train, there will be a bigger one on the back, which I will do monday. 71DSCF0005_1.jpg

Here it shows how I made it. First I made a "mother" block with a desired curve I wanted, then I used the vacuum form machine. This machine has strong heaters, enough to be able heat sheets of plastic until they reach flexibility, then press a suction button that vacuums the plastic sheet, until it out lines the shapes of the "mother" block. 71DSCF0001_1.jpg

Here, it shows the cut out that I need for train. 71DSCF0002_1.jpg

Filed under: Giger train Comments Off
3May/04Off

Front grid and overall bits

Nothing is yet attached to the main shell, though these pics below show all the individual pieces that I have been working on, like the top air flow detail... 69DSCF0007_1.jpg

69DSCF0001_2.jpg

69DSCF0005_1.jpg

69DSCF0001_4.jpg

This is how use filler in the gaps of each rod, then filed the gaps until the smooth required shape with a round needle file.
69DSCF0001_1.jpg

Filed under: Giger train Comments Off